Friday, January 15, 2021

POST SEVENTY-TWO (Marian Writes in this Letter) 12 SEPTEMBER 1943

Enlisted Men Barracks

2O Days Before Arriving at Camp Shanks to
be Shipped Out to Northern Ireland, Oct 7th.

Sunday
September 12, 1943
Dear Mother,
    Here I am in La Crosse with Marian. Before I close I will let her say hello to you.
    It's been cold and right now Marian just said she heard it raining outside. We have been talking the evening away after coming back from lunch about six o'clock. If at anytime you would like to ask Marian anything just write her a few lines. Gee Mom, she's a swell girl and I know she'll be glad to drop you a line.
    Here she is. I'll have her write, hello to you.
                            Hello Mrs. Knight, 
                                     I said no, but Charles said yes, so here I am writing. This is sort of a long distance introduction, wish I could meet you in person. I certainly have heard much about you. 
                                     I told Charles I was going to tell you something bad about him but can't seem to find anything to tell you. We sure have had some good times together.
                                     If you would like to write to me sometime, I'd sure be glad to hear from you.
                                                        Marian
P.S. Gee Mom, I don't know what she has written as she won't let me see. Hope it's O.K. I'll mail this when I start back to camp. It's now 9:30 so I'll say good night. Love to all.
                                                            Charles
I believe I have told you all I am in contact with some of Marian's family. A son, Tom, and a grandson, Jeff. I will be doing a special post on Marian because of the way she helped Uncle Charlie get through his time at Camp McCoy. She was a real blessing to him. Her family are sending me pictures to make the future post very special. I will put one picture of Marian under the Poster section on this post just to tease you until I share several pictures on that special post in the future.

^^Sep 11 Allied armed forces conquer Salerno, Italy (VIDEO BELOW)

    ^^Sep 11 Jewish ghettos of Minsk & Lida Belorussia liquidated. The Minsk Ghetto was created soon after the German invasion of the Soviet Union. It was one of the largest in Belorussian USSR, and the largest in the German-occupied territory of the Soviet Union. It housed close to 100,000 Jews, most of whom perished in The Holocaust.  

Belarus-Minsk Memorial Pit 
In Memory of the 100,000 Jews

^^Sep 11 Last German Q/pirate ship sinks near Easter Island

                ^^Sep 11 US & Australian troops join in Salamaua, New Guinea               

Salamaua, New Guinea
Salamaua, New Guinea


Marian



SALERNO, ITALY


*Source 1 https://www.thoughtco.com/world-war-ii-battles-2361453

*Source 2 https://americasbesthistory.com/timeline2ndworldwar1943.html for major battles

**Source 3 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1943_in_the_United_States

^^Source 4 https://www.onthisday.com/events/date/1943

##Source 5 https://www.history.com/topics/world-war-ii/us-home-front-during-world-war-ii

copyright of letters and any original material Peter Lagasse

No comments:

Post a Comment