Saturday, January 2, 2021

POST SEVENTY (When Will My Cousin Go Over the Atlantic) 9 SEPTEMBER 1943

23 DAYS BEFORE ARRIVING AT CAMP SHANKS

 September 9, 1943

Dear Mother,

     Another day gone by so before going to bed I'll write as I always feel better after sending home a few lines. I know you're always watching the mailbox for mail the same as I do.

     Before writing anymore guess I'll tell you what I've just done.

     It was about 7:15 and I had just taken a small package of pictures over to the orderly room. The sun was low and red in the West as I have told you for the last few days it has been just like fall. I had just got back to my bunk when in came Clarence Hanscom to ask me to go with him while he got some meat ready for to-morrow. You know he cooks in the 12th Field Artillery Battalion. He is in the Second Infantry Division but in a different outfit than I. I told him I had to write home first. "Well" he said, aren't you hungry?" So over I went. I stayed with him until about 9:30 then we went up in his room for about half an hour. Did we eat cooked eggs, drank 1/2 quart of milk and I took over that jar of cream spread. I feel just like a good night sleep. Think I'll take a shower first.

     Cliff said Warren Knight (his cousin) was home. Gee, he gets home every six months. When will he go across? Is he still in Mississippi?

     I am sending home some pictures after I had the package all done up I found a few more, so will send them in an envelope. How did my pictures in Portland come out?

     How are Joe and Helen making out. Gee, I wished them good luck, hope they'll always be happy. Not much news so guess I'll say good night. Love to all.

                                                  Charles  


                                                                      
 ^^Sep 9 British 8th Army lands at Taranto, South Italy, it was called Operation Slapstick    
           
OPERATION SLAPSTICK

                                 ^^Sep 9 15 German JU-88's sink Italian flag ship Roma                                                                        

 
ITALIAN FLAG SHIP ROMA

^^Sep 9 Lieutenant-General Omar Bradley flies from Algiers to Marrakech/Prestwick

^^Sep 9 Red Army occupies Bachmatsj

^^Sep 9 United States, British & French troops land in Salerno (Operation Avalanche)                                                                                                                                                                                       

  SALERNO BEACH LANDING HMS BRUISER
                                                                                                                                                       

 OPERATION AVALANCHE
 







 What Did WW2 Soldiers Eat
US Military Food Rations
                                    Documentary ca. 1943                               


*Source 1 https://www.thoughtco.com/world-war-ii-battles-2361453
*Source 2 https://americasbesthistory.com/timeline2ndworldwar1943.html for major battles
**Source 3 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1943_in_the_United_States
^^Source 4 https://www.onthisday.com/events/date/1943
##Source 5 https://www.history.com/topics/world-war-ii/us-home-front-during-world-war-ii
copyright of letters and any original material Peter Lagasse

No comments:

Post a Comment