Tuesday, November 10, 2020

POST SIXTY-THREE (Guys Being Sent Home!) 20 AUGUST 1943

August 20, 1943
Dear Mom,
    Everything o.k. to-night. Haven't had it too hard to-day. Have to stand inspection in the morning. It is warm to-night but not too bad.
    Quite a few of the boys are being sent home because of minor trouble. No more limited service, and I guess they're not going to waste time operating anymore. (We know they will be shipping out in five weeks, therefore, time to recover from a surgery is limited.) Well, I wish I was out but would rather stay in than have something wrong with me to get out.
    Helen and Joe must be back by now. I know they must have had a nice trip and a swell time. Don't worry, Mom, they'll be o.k. now. Guess things change after you're married. Listen to the old man talk (me) Ha! Ha!
    The nights back home must be getting a little cool now. I've began to notice the days are shorter. Once, with the lights out I've sat outside at 9:30pm and finished a letter.
    I can't think of a thing to write about. It's too bad about the Hatt boy and his wife. I never thought they'd have trouble. Keeps on, Ma, and you won't have anyone to boss but me. Helen will go South this winter, don't worry. As for Eugene, you let him go, he's o.k. If he wants another calf and can swing it so much the better. (Eugene (Uncle Gene) will have his own dairy farm in the years ahead. Hard work but he enjoyed it.)
    I can hear the bugle blowing and can't that fellow, whoever he is, blow it. You know what I mean. Makes you kind of lonesome sometimes. 
    Here is an air mail stamp. Will you send me one bond as soon as you can? Mom, how do you make flour starch and also how do you use it? Love to Dad and brother.
                                     Love,
                                       Charles


^^Aug 19 Belgian church excommunicates Nazi Leon Degrelle. Léon Joseph Marie Ignace Degrelle was a Belgian politician and Nazi collaborator. Degrelle rose to prominence in the 1930s as the leader of the Catholic authoritarian Rexist Party in Belgium.

Leon Degrelle

^^Aug 19 US air raid on German bases at Gilze-Rijen/Vlissingen


 Gilze-Rijen Bombing






                                                                     Johnny Cash                                                                            I Won't Back Down (US Army Tribute)


*Source 1 https://www.thoughtco.com/world-war-ii-battles-2361453
*Source 2 https://americasbesthistory.com/timeline2ndworldwar1943.html for major battles
**Source 3 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1943_in_the_United_States
^^Source 4 https://www.onthisday.com/events/date/1943
##Source 5 https://www.history.com/topics/world-war-ii/us-home-front-during-world-war-ii
copyright of letters and any original material Peter Lagasse

No comments:

Post a Comment