Thursday, October 8, 2020

POST FIFTY-EIGHT (A ROUGH WEEK) 1 AUGUST 1943

 


 

Sunday Morning
August 1, 1943

    Have just returned from chapel, have a little time before chow I'll write a letter. Have been working this morning but guess will have this afternoon off. Got done last evening about 7:30 but this pass week sure has been hard and rough. Gee, it's a pretty day here. A little warm but not bad. A nice breeze coming through my window now.
    Well, Mom, went to chow and didn't finish this letter so will write to-night. We sure had a change this afternoon. It came off hot and to-night I guess it will be but to take a shower later on before turning in.
    To-day is August 1st and I put on my last pair of shorts you washed for me. Gee, I took a last good look at them for it will be a long time before they look white again. I think of the white shirts you use to do up for me and not bragging about myself but how clean I could look when I went out after I had put one of those white shirts on. Remember when I started for Helen's with my car all shined up? I sure appreciate more than ever the things you did for me. (Even if you didn't press my pants, Ha Ha) (Uncle Charlie was always an impeccable dresser. He was a nice looking young man and made sure he dressed appropriately for whatever occasion. Boy, did he look sharp in his Shriner's uniform!)
    We have been issued another suit of  khaki so hope to be able to keep a little cleaner. This suit is a little lighter. The seat is not so big in this pair. Ha! Ha!
    Hope my pictures came out good. Before I close will you look this up and see what it means? I saw it on a boy's shoulder.
   
                            So Long All
                            Love Charles
  
Inside of Chapel  at Camp McCoy

copyright of letters and any original material Peter Lagasse






No comments:

Post a Comment