Sunday, September 22, 2019

POST ONE (Uncle Charlie Enters WW II Via Camp McCoy)


DECEMBER 22,1942

The second blog about my uncle, Charles D Knight, who entered WW II in 1942 will be his training time at Camp McCoy, Wisconsin, supported by the 86 letters he wrote while there. My first blog was about his years on the front lines in the European Theater of Operations in Battery B of the 15th Field Artillery Battalion in the 2nd Infantry Division.


As with the first blog, I will write each letter in their entirety. Giving information both dealing with the war and also events happening in the United States, I will attempt to put his letters in context according to the date of the letter. The first few posts will have some repetition from the first blog, but I have added new pictures etc. 

The first blog was entitled "World War II in the Words of My Uncle." This second blog will be entitled "Camp McCoy in the Words of My Uncle." I am using the similar theme because as with the first blog my uncle's letters will be the background for most of the posts.

I am sure some of these posts will cause us to laugh, smile, and maybe even reminiscence. Others will cause us to cringe, cry, and realize fighting a war is not an idea of fair play.

War is no game, no sport, no second guessing. In raw reality, it is to win by killing instead of being killed. Rarely does a soldier have a second chance in the fights or battles of war. Together, we will enter a zone few have entered and those that have will never forget, but often say little. First, we must enter the training camp at Camp McCoy to gain a greater appreciation for every veteran that has served our country both in peace time and war time. 

ENTER THE WAR ZONE
FIRST BY TRAINING

No comments:

Post a Comment